Dentures & Partials An Overview
Dentures and partial dentures can replace several consecutive missing teeth, a full arch or a full set of lost teeth. Dr. Butler offers personalized restorative dental care for the replacement of missing teeth and will work with you on an individual basis to meet your dental health and cosmetic needs.
Today’s patients can enjoy dentures that are more natural looking, comfortable and stable than those worn by earlier generations. Advances in materials, adhesives and placement options offer a range of choices for restoring your smile and your best possible quality of life.
Types of Dentures
There are two basic types of full and partial dentures:
- Removable dentures: the traditional option for dentures, a removable denture is a custom oral appliance that is held in place using special dental adhesives applied daily.
- Fixed dentures: a fixed denture, also called implant dentures, is permanently secured into place using several strategically placed dental implants.
Choosing the most suitable option for replacing your missing teeth will be the result of a thorough exam and consultation with Dr. Butler. There are some key factors to take into consideration when making the right choice for your needs:
- Jaw bone health and structure: lost or compromised jaw bone may need to be addressed with grafting to create a stable foundation for placing dental implants.
- Cosmetic and lifestyle goals: Dr. Butler will explain the pros and cons of both types of dentures and how they can impact your daily quality of life and the aesthetics of your smile.
- Cost of treatment: costs for your treatment options will be presented for your consideration.
Dentures & Partials What to Expect
Dr. Butler will perform a thorough evaluation of your oral health and jaw structure, including digital diagnostics as needed. She will discuss your concerns and treatment goals, educating you on all aspects of possible options. We believe that the best outcomes are the result of comprehensive treatment planning and communication between dentist and patient.
Removable dentures: about the process
The placement of a removable denture will require several visits to complete. If there are teeth that need to be extracted Dr. Butler will coordinate the procedure with a local oral surgeon. The next step is to take dental impressions and to place a temporary denture. This will enable the soft tissues to adapt to the new appliance before the final restoration is ready to be completed. Dr. Butler will work with you to create a new smile that complements your appearance and offers a comfortable result.
Implant dentures: about the process
The first step is the surgical placement of the titanium post into the jaw. This will require a healing period of several months for a stable result, allowing the soft tissues to heal and the post to integrate with the jaw bone. Once healed, dental impressions will be taken for the creation of a cosmetic hybrid denture to attach to the posts. A temporary denture is often placed to allow you to speak and eat normally while the final restoration is being made in a dental lab.
All On Four: about the process
For the placement of an immediate denture using the All On Four process, Dr. Butler can coordinate with a local specialist to place several strategic dental implants and a new denture on the same day. This unique process uses advanced treatment planning to design a new smile, remove teeth as needed, place implants and secure a denture in one appointment. With All On Four, a wider range of patients with varying oral health conditions can enjoy the benefits of an implant secured denture and a stable smile.